Report a Crime

Sheriff's Office Badge

Use the Citizen Self Report On-Line Form for property crimes and misdemeanor person crimes occurring within the unincorporated county, Creswell and Veneta with or without suspect information. This form IS NOT for reporting crimes such as robbery, assault with serious injury, sex crimes, stolen vehicles crimes that include the use or theft of firearms, or violation of restraining/stalking orders. If you want to report these types of incidents, please contact our dispatch center at  541-682-4150 option 1.  

Citizen Self-Report Form (pdf) is provided for those that would rather print the form and mail it in.

I got an email or telephone call that must be a scam. Who should I notify?

Report potential email and telephone scams to the Oregon Attorney General’s Office at 1-877-877-9392. The Oregon Attorney General’s website lists important information about scams, identity theft, lemon laws, etc. You can also sign up for email alerts as part of the Oregon Scam Alert Network, as well as file consumer complaints on their website.

I received a call or card in the mail soliciting donations. How do I know if this is a legitimate fundraiser?

You can investigate the legitimacy of a charitable organization, as well as how much of the donated funds are used for the charitable cause by visiting websites such as Charity Navigator, GuideStar, or the Oregon Department of Justice.

What do I need to do if I want to press charges against someone?

You must first file a police report in the jurisdiction within which the crime occurred.  For incidents that occurred in unincorporated Lane County, contact our Dispatch Center at 541-682-4150 option 1. For incidents that occurred inside city limits, you should contact that city’s police department.


For incidents that don’t have a location, such as identity theft, or internet fraud, contact the police agency that has jurisdiction over your residence address.

How do I find information about outstanding warrants? What should I do if I know the location of someone wanted by law enforcement?

Warrants information is not considered to be public information.  Therefore, phone inquiries will not be answered about wanted status.  If you want to check whether you have an outstanding warrant, present yourself at our Central Reception along with identification, such as a driver’s license. If you believe someone is wanted and you know his or her location, contact our Dispatch Center at 541-682-4150 option 1. Although Dispatch will neither confirm nor deny wanted status, our Communications Officers will take your information and do appropriate follow-up.

A house is vacant next door and we suspect that there may be unwanted and unauthorized occupants using the residence, but we are unable to locate or contact the owner of the home. Who should we call?

Contact the Lane County Land Management Code Enforcement at (541) 682-3724. The Code Enforcement Program enforces Lane County’s nuisance ordinances by responding to and investigating reports and inquiries from the public.

The Sheriff’s Office can only enforce trespass complaints on private property if the complaint is made by the property owner or the party responsible for the property. If an arrest is made, we must show that we acted on the authority of the property owner.

Someone towed a vehicle and left it on the street/across the road in a field/in their driveway and it’s leaking fluids/is an eyesore/hasn’t moved for months. What do I do?

If you are in the county, and the vehicle is parked in an appropriate location on the street, and has no flat tires, is not up on blocks, appears to be in running order, and the tags are current, it is considered legally parked. However, if the vehicle is in disrepair, is leaking fluids, does not have current registration tags, or otherwise appears to be abandoned, contact the Lane County Weighmaster at 541-682-4150 option 1 to report the location and description of the vehicle, including the license plate information. 

Who enforces the noise ordinance?

Lane County Land Management currently enforces the county noise ordinance. For further information, contact their Compliance Officer at 541-682-3724.

I found personal property, what should I do?

Money or goods valued at less than $250 -  If the item has a serial number, or other identifying marks, contact our Police Records Unit, 541-682-3775 in order to run those numbers through our local/state/national computer systems.  Once you have made a good faith effort to find the owner and/or determine if the item was stolen, you are free to dispose of property valued at under $250 as you see fit.  Due to space and staffing issues, our department is not currently picking up these items for disposal.


This DOES NOT apply to any firearm despite condition when found, to items which may have been used in the commission of a crime, or items that were obviously stolen during a crime, such as a safe with the door pried open.  Please report these kinds of items to our Dispatch Center at 541-682-4150 option 1.

Money of goods valued at $250 or more – See ORS 98.005 Rights and duties of finder of money or goods.